Wednesday, September 3, 2008

You, Not Them

As a homeschooling mother, one of the hardest keys to follow is "You, not them." It means that instead of focusing on your kids' education you HAVE to focus on your own. By focusing on your own, you give your kids such a good example! But finding the time...

When I decided to focus on building a business with my kids I did several things. First of all, I started educating myself. I have read so many books, listened to several programs on CD. I got myself educated and excited about a subject before I started sharing with my kids. I also decided, since I want to have my kids start their own business, I should too. And I have.

I LOVE sewing. I got my degrees in college so that I could teach others about fabric. Within a few years of graduating I was able to teach at a community college but I haven't taught since then. I've decided to get back into teaching! In June I started by teaching a two week "Sewing Camp." I had 4 girls come over for 3 hours a day for 2 weeks and I taught them how to sew. They made at least 4 projects and we all had so much fun. I'm already planning on a "Holiday Sewing Camp."

I also decided that I really need to get rid of some fabric. I have so much fabric... some of it from over 20 years ago when I worked in a fabric store! This is an asset that I have right in front of me and I haven't paid attention to it for years. I have been sewing for family and friends for years... mostly baby things. One of my specialties is knit fabric receiving blankets. I now have several that are for sale. You need one? Let me know! They are two layers of cotton knit. I started making them for my twins over 12 years ago. Gymboree sells some but they are really expensive. Mine are $20. I've also made some bibs. I have so many really cute fabrics for both boys and girls but some of the fabric pieces are pretty small. Bibs are perfect for these. I also have some knit terry cloth that is perfect for backing. I found that they weren't thick enough to absorb what I know kids can throw at a bib so I've added a layer of thermal fabric. It makes it really absorbent and really comfortable. I'm selling these for $6 each or three for $15. As soon as I figure out how to add pictures to this blog I'll put them up.

With all the researching I've been doing I've also become passionate about teaching kids about money. With the economy the way it is, it is so important that kids have the tools to make decisions about their future. If they know what they have to do to be successful they are more likely to be successful! If they know that credit cards can suck the life out of you if you let them, they might be more careful about using them. I've signed up to teach a class for the charter school that we homeschool through. I am so excited about teaching this class! It is slightly terrifying too, but in a good way.

Next time, I'll write about the last three keys. I promise it will be in the next couple of days!

No comments: