Wednesday, September 24, 2008

So far so good...

I have J, A & M in a personal finance class that I am teaching for our charter school. I love teaching this class! I have a ten other kids in the class and it is a challenge. The kids don't always listen to me. They push me to find ways to inspire them. Hopefully they are learning a fraction of what I am learning by teaching them.

I think that things are going OK though. One of J's friends is in the class too. The other day the two of them were on the phone and computer talking and trying to think up ways to earn money. I don't know if it is from the money class or not but...

I've decided to help them along a little. My next class is going to start out with talking about starting your own business. I found a great resource... Boy Scouts. The Merit Badge books are wonderful for ideas and resources. I figure my kids can earn about 4 different Merit Badges with all the stuff I'm incorporating into my class! I'm pulling from a bunch of different sources but I'm most excited about these right now.

The Entrepreneurship Merit Badge has the scout go through and really analyze different businesses and find three different ideas that they think might work. They takes the three ideas and do further research and narrow it down to one. The requirements then have the scout work up advertising and start their business! I'm looking forward to having my class work through some ideas and see if I can get them inspired to start their own businesses. I'll let you know how it goes!

No comments: