Sunday, August 17, 2008

Inspire, not Require

I have found that one of the most confusing keys in TJed is "Inspire, not Require." Some people get thrown with the idea of not requiring. In our family we do require things of our children. We require that they are courteous and kind to others. We require follow through. We require our children to respect others' time and property. I believe these are value that need to be instilled at the "Core" level and applied as the children get older. When it comes to school work for the children in the "Love of Learning" and "Scholar" phases, I work on the inspiring. I have two kids that LOVE music and I have no problem inspiring them to practice. They are dream music students. Their math, well, let's just say that a little peer pressure can be very inspiring! I have another child that is naturally gifted in math but gets turned off to it with any kind of workbook or drill sheet. I am teaching him fractions in the kitchen. He loves to cook so this is a natural way to inspire him.

My four older kids are at an age where they are VERY inspired by money and what it can buy. But, at the same time, they have many distractions that compete for their time. What I am doing to inspire my kids about our business adventure is to share my enthusiasm. I am excited about my plans! I have so much to tell them and do with them! And my enthusiasm and excitement is because I have been following another key - "You, not Them."

No comments: